Many people do not understand that nutritious food plays a vital role in reducing mental stress and consequent anxiety. Such people are advised to be watchful of the diet followed by somebody who is subjected to excessive stress and anxiety if they want to save him from such conditions. Observing good dietary principles can be difficult to follow in this modern world. Yet if small efforts can be taken there is no doubt that you can reap good rewards. Now let us examine some food items that are very good for reducing the stress and maintaining a well balanced body and mind.
- Fisgh: Mackeral, sardines, tuna, salmon etc are fishes rich in omega3-fatty acids which give very good protection from heart disease caused by excessive stress. Release of stress hormone cortisol can be inhibited by omega-3 fatty acids.
- Oats: Oats is one of the best foods used for reducing stress. Oats is also rich in magnesium, fiber and thiamine. This trio is well known for its ability to relieve stress. It also helps to stop anxiety attacks.
- Blueberries: Blueberry contains abundant quantity of vitamin C which is well known for its stress relieving capacity. High level of fiber contained in blueberries help to control blood sugar levels. Researchers have found that the fluctuations in the sugar levels are a major contributor to mental stress.
- Sweet potatoes: Patients under stress usually have craving for sugar and carbohydrates. This craving can be solved to some extent by including sweet potatoes in their diet. The fiber in sweet potatoes is useful in processing carbohydrates in a slow and steady manner.
- Broccoli: Broccoli is very rich in different sub categories of vitamin B which are better stress relievers. Similarly the folic acid contained in broccoli is a well known stress reliever.
- Yogurt: Peptic ulcers which are aggravated by stress can be controlled as yogurt is good in neutralizing the acidity produced by peptic ulcers. Blue berries can be added to increase the stress relieving capacity.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes are rich in vitamin A which is helpful in improving the immune system of the patient. Dysfunctional or faulty immune system can impair nerve functions and lead to mental and physical disorders.
Dried apricot: Apricot contains abundant quantity of magnesium. Therefore it is considered as a great stress reliever. Magnesium is a muscle relaxant and it helps to minimize heart palpitations also.